Here’s a yummy recipe I came across in Real Simple magazine. I’ve made it several times already and it’s really easy to put it all together in the morning. Except for the rice – I make the rice about 20 minutes before dinner time.
Sweet & Spicy Asian Pork
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (if you double this amount and the brown sugar, you get even more of the yummy sauce at the end)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons chili-garlic sauce (but if you add 3-4 T, it’s even better)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 1/2 pounds pork (I have used pork loin & pork chops – and all have worked)
- a couple spoon full of garlic (my addition)
- 1-2 cup rice
- 1 medium bok choy, sliced
Combine the first seven ingredients in the slow cooker. Make sure the pork has been covered on all sides by the mixture. Cook, covered, on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
Cook the rice. Perfect rice can be made by using 1 3/4 cups of water for every cup of rice, with a small pinch of salt. After bring the water to a boil, add the rice, turn heat to medium-low, and let the water steam the rice for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and continue to let steam. I add the chopped bok choy at this point to the rice and let it get steamed by the rice.
Serve spicy pork with rice and enjoy! You can adjust the “spiciness” by adding more or less chili-garlic sauce.