We had a small holiday celebration this weekend with friends. It was lovely to have the kids play so well together and for us to visit with our friends. It was a potluck, and I have to say that my F-I-L Hank’s mac and cheese recipe was the hit of the party – everyone loved it!
Hank’s Mac & Cheese
Boil up a box of suitable pasta, such as medium elbows. Each box of pasta requires two or three cups of white sauce (two cups for “holds together” texture and three cups for “loose and saucy” texture). I made one box, which was a large amount for ten hungry kids.
For each cup of white sauce:
1. Melt two tablespoons of butter.
2. Whisk in two tablespoons of flour.
3. Whisk in one cup of milk.
4. Cook on medium until it boils and thickens.
1. Mix cooked pasta with white sauce.
2. Put 1/2 of mixture in pan.
3. Layer on some cheese (American or cheddar – something tangy is best). I used almost two pounds of both white and orange American cheese.
4. Put 1/2 of mixture in pan.
5. Layer on even more cheese!
6. Bake in 350 degree oven until bubbly, usually 10-15 minutes – burns easily so be watchful.