At a play date during Sophia’s spring break, my friend made chicken enchiladas that were amazing. I had to get the recipe…which she kindly made up for me. I replicated last week when my brother was in town, knowing he’d appreciate some spicy mexican food before he headed off for grits in the south!
Here’s her recipe: Chicken Enchiladas
- 3 Chicken breast or whole chicken
- Chicken stock or water – just to cover the chicken
Cook chicken in crock pot until done (I did this the morning of enchilada day – on low for a few hours). Fork shred the chicken and then put it back into salsa-water to soaks up remaining sauce.
- Rice (I just made one cup of dried rice and added lime juice and cilantro)
- I used Trader Joe’s mexican cheese blend – just a handful
- Enchilada sauce (I used Macayo’s canned green enchilada sauce – my friend recommended it & you can get it at Safeway)
- Tortillas (fresh if you can get them – I like tortillas from Alejandro’s Tortilla Factory (you can get them at Safeway)
- More salsa!
In baking dish pour in a small amount of enchilada sauce in the bottom. Prepare enchilada’s by mixing all the ingredients in one large pot and then scoop a cup or more to fill the tortilla. Roll up and place seam down in pan. Pour rest of sauce over the top and sprinkle more cheese – make sure the tortillas are completely covered by the sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. (It’s a good idea to cover with tin foil if you don’t want it to get too brown). Serve with guacamole, sour cream, refried beans, and lime tortilla chips. And more salsa!
I made a huge batch and we ate it for lunch all week long. I even managed to go through a whole large jar of salsa in a week – unbelievable. What can I say – this baby likes spicy food!
***I made this recipe again last night, using two chicken breasts and less than a pound of stew beef in the slow cooker. I used the leftover “broth” of salsa and water to make the rice. I added lime juice, cilantro, and salsa to the entire mixture before placing the mixture inside tortillas. Easy to tweak the recipe to just what you’re craving!!